Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Drift Assessment

Initially when I thought of going on my drift walk, I thought it would be a good experience walking around town just listening. But on the day that I had planned on going on my walk, I was disappointed with the rainy weather and the fact that I was really sick. However, when I got to my starting point at Bryant Bridge where I recorded the Fox River, it looked like things would be okay. Listening to the water's flow increase and decrease with the rain and walking around collecting multiple sounds got me relaxed and peaceful. I didn't expect to hear the sounds that I did walking around that day. I thought the sound of the rain would get in the way and ruin potential sound clips but it actually made them even better. I also expected collecting sounds would have been harder than it was. But there were so many different noises out there that it was surprisingly easy. The fact that it was easy than I thought allowed me to enjoy what I was doing which I wasn't really expecting. Out of the whole experience, I would have to say the best part was walking around with my mom. There are a lot of creepers in the part of town I walked in and she didn't want me to go alone. That and the fact that it was raining and I was sick, she came along with me to hold the umbrella. Even though we didn't talk on our trip, it was nice to be able to share the experience with her and see that she was so willing to help me with something that maybe she didn't quite understand.

No comments: